Right of Christian Initiation For Adults (RCIA)
Who Is This For?
This is a programme of instruction in the faith for adults:
- Have you been worshiping with us, but never officially took the step to become Catholic?
- Have you been away from the Church…and have now returned, but want to know more?
- Have you been Catholic all your life, but never celebrated all the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist & Confirmation)?
- Have you joined us from a different faith background and would like to find out more about the Catholic Church?
- Do you know of anyone who has lapsed from the practice of their faith and would like to respond to an invitation to return to the Father’s House?
If any of these questions apply to you, the RCIA programme is a great way to help you on your journey of faith!
Due to COVID-19 RCIA is cancelled until further notice.
2020 Weekly Topics
- 14 January 2020 - The Sacraments: An Overview
Brief introduction to life of the sacraments, how they reflect the life of the Church, and are a call to deepening relationship with Christ; three categories: initiation, healing, vocation.
- 21 January 2020 - Sacrament of Initiation: Baptism & Confirmation
- 28 January 2020 - Sacrament of Initiation: Eucharist
- 04 February 2020 - Sacrament of Healing: Reconciliation
- 11 February 2020 - Sacrament of Healing: Anointing of Oils
- 18 February 2020 - Sacrament of Vocation: Marriage
Use JP11's teaching on human relationships and sexuality.
- 25 February 2020 - An Introduction to Lent
The Season of Lent and last leg of the preparation for full initiation into the Church; the purpose of Lent as a call to conversion, repentance from sin, call to charity.
- 03 March 2020 - Sacrament of Vocation: Holy Orders.
- 10 March 2019 - Church and Heaven: The Last Things
Heaven, Hell, Purgatory; the Church's teaching on this, putting "myths" of popular culture into context eg: exorcism, possession.
- 17 March 2020 - Traditions of Lent
Stations of the Cross
- 24 March 2020 - Traditions of Lent
Connection to O.T - show video of Pesach
- 31 March 2020 - Preparation for Easter Vigil Celebration
Also an opportunity for confession/chat with the priest
- 07 April 2020 - Holy Week: Final Journey of Jesus' Passion and Resurrection
Walk participants through the events of Holy Week, the significance and symbols of the Tridium.
- 14 April 2020 - Where to now: A Call to Witness
Role as Christians is to live our faith in daily life; in the home and in society; we are called to be evangelizers.
- 21 April 2020 - Sharing our Conversion Stories
Newly Initiated and those who walked with them are invited to share their conversion stories; what has touched them most during the course of the year; where to next for them; complete evaluation forms
- 28 April 2020 - Final Dinner
The programme is every Tuesday, 7:30 - 9:00 pm at Holy Redeemer.
The programme runs from July and ends three weeks after the Easter vigil. RCIA runs during usual school holidays, June, September, but we do take a break during the December/January holidays.
We also have a retreat weekend midway through the programme.
Those wishing to attend should also set aside the times of the services during Holy Week and in particular the Triduum services of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and The Easter Vigil on Easter Saturday. The Easter Vigil service is where the elect are received fully into the Catholic Church (where applicable Baptism, Confirmation and/or Eucharist).
The RCIA programme is run in conjunction with Holy Redeemer, in Bergvliet. Please contact our parish office for further information.
Don Bowden is the coordinator for Constantia and Sarah-Leah Pimentel is the RCIA coordinator at Holy Redeemer, Bergvliet.
Click below to download the registration form.