Right of Christian Initiation For Adults (RCIA)
Who Is This For?
This is a programme of instruction in the faith for adults:
- Have you been worshiping with us, but never officially took the step to become Catholic?
- Have you been away from the Church…and have now returned, but want to know more?
- Have you been Catholic all your life, but never celebrated all the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist & Confirmation)?
- Have you joined us from a different faith background and would like to find out more about the Catholic Church?
- Do you know of anyone who has lapsed from the practice of their faith and would like to respond to an invitation to return to the Father’s House?
If any of these questions apply to you, the RCIA programme is a great way to help you on your journey of faith!
2019 Weekly Topics
- 02 July 2019 - Introduction Meeting with Fr. Anthony
- 09 July 2019 - Introduction to the RCIA Program: Eucharist
Introduction to what RCIA program is, filling out forms, talk about sponsors who are invited to walk with catechumens.
- 16 July 2019 - Places and people of the Catholic Church
Explain different spaces within a Catholic Church; different Catholic buildings (eg church, cathedral); the different people who serve the Church as ordained clergy and lay people in various ministries.
- 23 July 2019 - Jesus: The Source and Summit of Faith
Jesus as central logos of Catholic faith, encounters with Jesus in scripture (who do you say I am?), reflection (who am I and what am I seeking?).
- 30 July 2019 - Revelation of God
Describing revelation of God through all aspects, nature, people, etc - culminating in the fullness of Revalation through Christ.
- 06 August 2019 - A Journey through the Bible
Introduction to different books of the Bible and how they tell our story of salvation, what we share in common with the Jewish people; and how NT expands it.
- 13 August 2019 - The Mass explained
Have Fr. celebrate Mass but explain the different parts of the Mass
- 20 August 2019 - Salvation History: Fulfillment of Covenant
Look through Covenants in OT, Jesus as new Covenant, Eucharist as centre of the Catholic celebration.
- 27 August 2019 - Church Tradition: A brief history of Catholism
Brief introduction through the early Church, Church Fathers, role of teachings of the Church.
- 03 September 2019 - Question and Answer Session
Participants bring their "burning questions" -- facilitators try to answer as many briefly, point to where these will be addressed in more detail throughout the course.
- 10 September 2019 - Church: The family of God
Introduction of the process of entering into full communion with the Church; the family as a domestic Church, Church as the community of believers, all on a common pilgrimage of faith, introduce the idea of a sponsor.
- 17 September 2019 - Mary: Mother of Christ, Mother of the Church, our Mother
Mary's story, her role in the Church -- what she is and what she isn't, how we honor her, Mary as mediatrix who always points to the Son.
- 01 October 2019 - The Saints: Role Models for our Daily Lives
Share stories of different saints; reflection on how these saints can be inspiration for our daily lives.
- 08 October 2019 - The Ten Commandments
The Ten Commandments not as a list of "don't" but rather a call to a life of holiness.
- 15 October 2019 - What is Truth: Ethics and Morality in a Relativist World
Following from 10 Commandments lesson, this lesson looks at specific issues around ethics and morality; the Church provides a response against relativism; Church teaching offers patterns for living a life closer to God's perfect plan of love; how do we tell right from wrong.
- 22 October 2019 - Our Call to Conversion: God's presence in our lives
Conversion not as a single moment, but through the experiences of our lives; life as a pilgrimage; encouragement to journal (document) journey of faith.
- 29 October 2019 - The Trinity: One God in Three Persons
A walk through how Father, Son, Holy Spirit are all aspects of one God, revelation of different aspects of God, perfection of love and unity in the Trinity.
- 05 November 2019 - The Creed: The Church's one belief (Part 1)
Context for the Nicene Creed and spend the next three weeks working through the Creed as the cornerstones of Catholic belief.
- 12 November 2019 - The Creed: The Church's one belief (Part 2)
- 19 November 2019 - Liturgical Seasons
Cycles in the Church's year; the colours and symbolism of different liturgical seasons; Entering into a period of preparation, the traditions of Christmas and their invitation
to prayer: eg Christmas Wreath, Advent Candles, Jesse Tree, Christmas Carols.
- 26 November 2019 - Church in the Real World: The Dignity of Life
Use Pope Francis' Encyclical on the Environment -- Laudate Si.
- 03 December 2019 - Church and Heaven: The Last Things
Heaven, Hell, Purgatory; the Church's teaching on this, putting "myths" of popular culture into context eg: exorcism, possession
- 10 December 2019 - Advent: Preparation for Christmas
What is season of Advent, why we have it as start of Church's liturgical year, traditions of Advent, call to prayer/preparation.
2020 Weekly Topics
- 14 January 2020 - The Sacraments: An Overview
Brief introduction to life of the sacraments, how they reflect the life of the Church, and are a call to deepening relationship with Christ; three categories: initiation, healing, vocation.
- 21 January 2020 - Sacrament of Initiation: Baptism & Confirmation
- 28 January 2020 - Sacrament of Initiation: Eucharist
- 04 February 2020 - Sacrament of Healing: Reconciliation
- 11 February 2020 - Sacrament of Healing: Anointing of Oils
- 18 February 2020 - Sacrament of Vocation: Marriage
Use JP11's teaching on human relationships and sexuality.
- 25 February 2020 - An Introduction to Lent
The Season of Lent and last leg of the preparation for full initiation into the Church; the purpose of Lent as a call to conversion, repentance from sin, call to charity.
- 03 March 2020 - Sacrament of Vocation: Holy Orders.
- 10 March 2019 - Church and Heaven: The Last Things
Heaven, Hell, Purgatory; the Church's teaching on this, putting "myths" of popular culture into context eg: exorcism, possession.
- 17 March 2020 - Traditions of Lent
Stations of the Cross
- 24 March 2020 - Traditions of Lent
Connection to O.T - show video of Pesach
- 31 March 2020 - Preparation for Easter Vigil Celebration
Also an opportunity for confession/chat with the priest
- 07 April 2020 - Holy Week: Final Journey of Jesus' Passion and Resurrection
Walk participants through the events of Holy Week, the significance and symbols of the Tridium.
- 14 April 2020 - Where to now: A Call to Witness
Role as Christians is to live our faith in daily life; in the home and in society; we are called to be evangelizers.
- 21 April 2020 - Sharing our Conversation Stories
Newly Initiated and those who walked with them are invited to share their conversion stories; what has touched them most during the course of the year; where to next for them; complete evaluation forms
- 28 April 2020 - Final Dinner
The programme is every Tuesday, 7:30 - 9:00 pm at Holy Redeemer.
The programme runs from July and ends three weeks after the Easter vigil. RCIA runs during usual school holidays, June, September, but we do take a break during the December/January holidays.
We also have a retreat weekend midway through the programme.
Those wishing to attend should also set aside the times of the services during Holy Week and in particular the Triduum services of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and The Easter Vigil on Easter Saturday. The Easter Vigil service is where the elect are received fully into the Catholic Church (where applicable Baptism, Confirmation and/or Eucharist).
The RCIA programme is run in conjunction with Holy Redeemer, in Bergvliet. Please contact our parish office for further information.
Don Bowden is the coordinator for Constantia and Sarah-Leah Pimentel is the RCIA coordinator at Holy Redeemer, Bergvliet.
Click below to download the registration form.